The Last Word
The Last Word puts you on a quest for Words. These Words have power: they can change the rules of the world around you and help you brave the harsh elements on your path. But beware: changing those rules might benefits your enemies! You’ll have to use the right Words, at the right time, to reach the end of your journey.
How to play
The Last Word is an infinite runner (with levels): you do not control the avatar that you see on the screen. Whatever you do, she will run. She might encounter obstacles, though, and that’s where you come in. Use your keyboard to change the rules of the world around her. Each rule has a key attached to it, displayed to its left in the UI: that is the key you need to press. As long as a key is pressed, the rule is changed. Once you release the key, the rule comes back to normal.
Goal of the game
You play an entity who has an interest in this little girl finding more Words. What is that entity looking for? Well, you’ll have to play to the end to find out…
This game was made in 72 hours by Adrian Gaudebert (dev), Manon Halvadjian (3D artist), Staś Małolepszy (dev) and Caroline Vic (2D artist).
The game was made with Godot. Sources of the game are hosted on GitHub here: https://github.com/adngdb/the-last-word
Because of reasons, we’ve had to use a few assets that were not made by us. That includes all of the audio assets, as we did not have any sound designers for this Jam. Here are the credits to all (I hope?) external assets we used. Thanks to their creators for sharing them!
- Keyboard key by TRBRY - https://opengameart.org/content/keyboard-keys
- Vampire by irmirx - https://opengameart.org/content/vampire-animations
- Skeleton by irmirx - https://opengameart.org/content/skeleton-animations
- Ghoulish Fun by Eric Matyas - https://opengameart.org/content/ghoulish-fun
- Soliloquy by Matthew Pablo - https://opengameart.org/content/soliloquy
- Achievement effect by Little Robot Sound Factory - https://opengameart.org/content/fantasy-sound-effects-library
- Fire effect by artisticdude - https://opengameart.org/content/fire-evil-spell
- Water effect by rubberduck - https://opengameart.org/content/40-cc0-water-splash-slime-sfx
- Spikes effect by Jute - https://opengameart.org/content/items-door-fire-weapon-hits
- Plant effect by Independent.nu - https://opengameart.org/content/5-break-crunch-impacts
- Success effect by wobbleboxx - https://opengameart.org/content/level-up-power-up-coin-get-13-sounds
- Orchestra level up effect by bart - https://opengameart.org/content/level-up-sound-effects
- Enemy death sounds by rubberduck - https://opengameart.org/content/80-cc0-rpg-sfx
- Girl scream by Partners in Rhyme - https://www.freesoundeffects.com/free-track/nmh-scream1-466424/
- Version 1.0
- This is the original build submitted in the 72nd hour of the jam.
- Version 1.1
- In this version we reordered the buttons to better match their actual positions on physical keyboard. Thanks to everyone who played the game and gave us feedback!
- Version 1.1 is up33 days ago
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.